Furnival Sculling Club

Furnivall Sculling ClubRowing club based in Hammersmith, London. Established 1896

Sam Rushworth

Saturday, 12th November 2016

 

In November 2016, the club took delivery of a new Stampfli men's coxed four. There was much discussion amongst club members as to how to name our boats and we finally settled on honouring club members who died during the First World War.

This boat has been named after Sam Rushworth, who was the first club member to fall. Sam was born in Battersea in 1891, the son of Joseph and Maria originally from Batley in West Yorkshire. He was a member of the 9th County of London Territorial Regiment, Queen Victoria’s Rifles. Sam was killed in 1915 in Belgium and is commemorated on a memorial tablet in Wulvergem Churchard just south of Ypres.

The boat will be debuted at the Head of the River Fours race on 12 November 2016.

Thank you very much to Gregory Durston for finding out some details about Sam's life and to Jonathan Stoddart for compiling this short tribute. 

< Back to News

BBC Weather for W6

British Rowing

World Rowing